Sunday, January 07, 2007

 

an ugly picture from my scrap book

A truly shocking, gut-wrenching, unbelievable thing happened yesterday. I had a fight. Ok, not a slugging it out in a bar-room sort of brawl, but plenty of cardigan pulling, wrist wrenching and loud, loud shouting in the street. It's never happened to me before and now I’m cried-out, shell-shocked and incredulous that the normally non-confrontational person that I am could have been involved in such an exhibition with someone with whom I’m generally on the friendliest of terms. I can’t excuse it because I shouldn’t need to respond to everything that frustrates me, especially when the other one’s having a tough time. I can’t really explain it either, except to say that once I’d made the decision to speak up, I became a terrier and couldn’t let go. So when a remark on the usual subject of the hurt she believes has been done to her came up, an inner voice asked if I was going to be a gutless wimp again and let it go unchallenged. So I challenged it. And she stormed out. I should have let her go, I know I should have let her go and then there would have been no fight. I don't know whether it was an act of vanity or insanity that persuaded me I could sort everything out if I could just stop her stomping off. So I followed her and for half a mile we were engaged in what seemed like a life and death struggle to win - for me the time to tell her that her obsession had made her blind to the hurt she'd inflicted on others, for her the right to refuse to listen. I lost the fight and I lost the right to claim to be a rational person. Because of an overwhelming frustration at constantly being accused of a bias that isn't there, at seeing a good looking woman with charm and energy look on everything in life so negatively and of remembering Rob’s uncomplaining fight for life, when he’d have sold his soul for just one of those days she sees as pointless, I lost control and that makes me feel very, very depressed.

Comments:
I think you are too hard on yourself.

(1) after four years of watching my cousin, who was like a sister to me when we were little, drink heavily and list the wrongs done to her (all many years in the past) whilst merrily inflicting the same wrongs upon her own son, and ignore or rebuff any attempt to help her get past them, I snapped, we argued and now we no longer speak.

(2) you have suffered a terrible blow yourself very recently and should not underestimate the effect it's had on you.

Obviously no one should ever physically fight with anyone else, but everyone has at some point and I personally think you should give yourself a break. No one ever died of a bit of cardigan pulling. Really.
 
I think it's episodes like this that are designed to remind us all that we're human, and it's our response to episodes like this that give us a measure of ourselves. And I think you measure very highly.
 
This is awful, I'm so sorry. Although you may feel like you lost, maybe something you said got through. And you should feel proud that you had the courage to speak up.
 
Thank you Katy, Ed and Wendy for being so supportive, but I think I should wear the hairshirt for a while longer. There's a chance this will be recorded as a bit of a family joke since the victim of my moment of madness has generously accepted my apology and said she's sorry too. I daresay boxing gloves will be on the next present list!
 
As long as you don't ask for a pair of dueling pistols! ;)
 
Please don't be too hard on yourself, you should have seen the fights your daughters have got into!

Anyway, maybe this will stop anyone accusing you of being 'harmless' in the future...
 
Don't beat yourself up - you are no "gutless wimp" - you stood up for what you felt was right, and that earns mega Brownie points in my book! And as for her 'accepting' your apology ... what about the hurt YOU (and others) have endured... If - as you put it - you 'lost control' and exploded ... if you hadn't, how much longer would that smouldering have been going on for ....enough to ignite a dormant volcano? YOU know the difference between right and wrong - stick with it and believe in your heart.

Ed - you are so right ... we are all only human - not superhuman.
 
Thanks for your support Gillie. I did say far too much though, so Im happy with an acceptance of my apology.
 
Well said.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?