Wednesday, October 22, 2008

 

Give us a clue

I glance idly down at the Sunday paper, turned to the cryptic crossword page. Oh no, I’m not being drawn into that rubbish, 10 minutes reading through all the clues and not able to answer a single one, waste of time, boring. But then I’m intrigued by the bits that my loved one has filled in and find myself staring at: Random examination a teenager might make? I’ve got one, I’ve got one, I shout and excitedly fill in spot-check. And then: Worker’s to run off with horny type. I see it begins with an A - ant, antler? ANTELOPE, yippee. I drag my loved one back into it and over the next couple of days obsess about it until we complete all but two of the clues.

I’m hooked and looking forward to next Sunday’s paper. Now I don’t want anyone spoiling my fun by reminding me that there are people out there who regularly complete this crossword in 12 minutes. I know that and I also know that some clues will remain a mystery even when the answers are provided, as in: Duck went fast, reportedly, back to juicy snack. I can see by the letters already in place that the answer’s orange, but why? Yes, duck goes with orange and orange is a juicy snack, but what’s going fast all about?

So now I have another distraction to keep me away from writing about Chicago, my heartbroken son and the annoying French school kids, as well as a bar in Turin where they pour the biggest gin and tonic and Jack Daniels I’ve ever seen.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?