Friday, October 24, 2008

 

God bothering

Cliff's post on the atheist bus has reminded me of how often I’ve wanted to write about religion.

I don’t like saying I’m an atheist because it implies that I’m actively engaged in something, but I haven’t philosophised my way there, I just can’t believe God exists and I don’t remember a time when I ever could. There’s someone who sees and hears each and every one of us? I just think about that number, 6.7 billion, divided into the number of seconds in a month say, and that gives 0.0004 of a second each - that's if we all get equal shares, and well…. But not believing in God doesn’t stop me loving hymns, carol services or nativity plays. Only my over-emotional blubbing does that.

I always hoped for a Damascene moment, but it didn’t come and so I was never able to see the Church in spiritual terms - just as a powerful organisation with a bloody history, clergy who seemed anything but holy, preaching the wrath of God for our sins, especially ones of the flesh, which always seemed to take up a lot more of the clergy’s time than the others.

But perversely, I don’t really enjoy meeting fellow non-believers. I often find them irritatingly smug, as though they’ve discovered a truth that the other poor suckers have yet to.

And strangely, I’m not a fan of Richard Dawkins either. He may have made a convincing case that God doesn’t exist, but that’s the easy bit. Now let him explain the more interesting questions of why so many people desperately need to believe he does; how God has inspired so many great works of art, acts of kindness, sacrifice and compassion; why people find it so difficult to accept that this life could be all they get and that death is the end, or why little old ladies in Italy get up at some ungodly hour to sit on a hard pew in a church every day (I’m not sure if there is an ungodly hour in church?)

Philosophers argue that people have only to look at science and nature to find all the wonder, beauty and spirituality they could need. So why don’t they? Why don’t they find the same sense of security and indestructibility, sanctuary, sense of community or rallying point in times of national joy and tragedy that they find in the church?

So, whilst I never got a sudden, blinding flash of light type conversion, a slow and gradual process has converted me to the idea that on balance, religion has shaped society for the better.

There are people who can never be prevailed upon to act decently and it was religion, or the Church at least, that kept their most ignoble urges in check in a way that the Law never could. They could imagine what a spell in jail would be like and make a judgement on whether to risk it, but God’s punishment was an unknown and therefore to be feared much more.

And whilst it may not have been difficult to persuade people that murder or robbery was wrong, the sexual urge is so strong and instinctive, that it needed God's disapproval of unmarried sex to encourage abstinence, or at least caution, but in doing so it went a long way towards protecting young women from sexual predators and other miseries.

So it seems I was wrong, the Church is a good guy after all.

But that doesn’t mean I’m going to let go of all my grudges. If the Pope weren’t quite so eager for more little Catholics, he might be persuaded to promote birth control and save a few million children from being born into poverty every year. He could lift the requirement for celibacy for priests, and allow them the option of a wholesome married life instead of lusting after choir boys. And he might even rethink the idea that homosexuals are perverts that can be cured and allow them to enjoy a life without guilt and secrecy. And I’m sorry, but I can never, ever, forgive them for Joan of Arc.

Comments:
I had a nice long response typed up but something ate it.
Let me try again...

I know someone who claims that even if you do not believe in God, you still believe SOMETHING, that it's a question of faith as to how strongly you believe there to be a God or No God. I tend to disagree with him- the world is nowhere near that black and white. You've expressed this much more clearly than I could.

I never had a Damascene moment either. I never expected one, to be honest. I made my own decisions years and years ago and even if it did cause serious arguments in the family, I haven't had my mind changed. And I can't really agree with you that religion has been good for Mankind. The way it's been manipulating - and continues to this day- teh general population to further its own aims, to meet its own agendas, has been nothing short of sinful. Religion wants power- they want to be the ones to decide what technology gets furthered and explored, etc. They've enslaved untold billions worldwide for centuries in the name of whatever God or Gods they want to invoke. I think it's sickening.

And I'm not talking about just Rome, either. I think that any religion that casts judgment on anyone and enforces a moral measure is up to no good. I truly believe that this is up to the individual.
No good can come of mass mind-control.

Society will handle the people who cannot choose to act in a moral fashion. They always have- except sometimes they've been hampered with myths and legends and such that prevent them from thinking with clear heads.

Rekligion is a Social Club- groups of like-minded individuals gathering together to enjoy their faith. It's not supposed to be a political tool, but that's really all it is for the most part. I dislike organized religion in all its forms.

Sorry to rant, Mol;)My lost entry was much better.
 
Thanks Ed - nice to get such a lengthy, thought-provoking comment. We're on the same side I think, but whilst it's what I’ve been saying most of my life, when I see how unsuccessfully we deal with the wayward, sad and lonely in society, I can’t help but wonder if the church hasn't done more good than harm overall. But if Sarah Palin gets in, I may have to rethink my rethink.
 
IT's not the Church that does the kindnesses to the unfortunate, though- it's always the congregation. The Church itself doesn't provide a dime as far as I can tell, all they do is put their name on it and beg for public funds.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?